Verizon Motorola Droid 2 Global A956 HIGH
Upgraded with a faster 1.2 GHz processor and GSM connectivity for global voice and data roaming, the feature-packed DROID 2 Global by Motorola for Verizon Wireless helps manage your work and social life with a plethora of new enhancements, including an improved QWERTY keyboard, full push corporate e-mail, and Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
Loaded with Android 2.2, the DROID 2 Global offers voice and data roaming around the globe, enhanced corporate e-mail, and Adobe Flash 10.1 support (see larger image).
The DROID 2 Global is the first smartphone with a 1.2 GHz processor for breakneck speed, plus it includes enhanced security for the business environment. It also runs the latest Android operating system--OS 2.2 (aka, Froyo)--which provides a faster overall Android experience as well as greater multitasking capabilities. You'll be able to receive notifications, listen to music, and even record GPS data without keeping the application open. It also offers enhanced Exchange support, with Calendar syncing, Global Address Lookup, improved security, auto-discovery, and more.
In addition to high-speed connectivity on the fast and reliable Verizon Wireless 3G network, the DROID 2 Global allows you to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries. You can also share the built-in 3G Mobile Hotspot via Wi-Fi among five devices--laptop, another phone, MP3 player, and more (additional service charge). (See more details on optional Verizon Wireless services below.)
Sporting a super-slim form factor, the DROID 2 Global offers a redesigned symmetrical keyboard with raised keys for more responsive typing to push out notes and status updates. Speech-to-text input and the virtual multi-touch keyboard (accessed via the 3.7-inch touchscreen) allow for quick messaging, and you can use the Swype keyboard enhancement for even faster input--with up to 50 words per minute using one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard (learn more about Swype below).
With integrated Google technology, DROID 2 Global brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by voice, Google Maps with Street View, GTalk instant messaging (with presence capabilities), YouTube, and Picasa. The DROID 2 Global also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
You'll also enjoy a wide range of multimedia entertainment with the DROID 2 Global, including BLOCKBUSTER On Demand presented by V CAST Video for purchasing, renting, and viewing movies right on the phone and the NFL Mobile app for live news and game updates.
Preloaded social networking widgets allow you to sync and stream your feeds and updates from Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace all to one screen in real time. Other features include a 5-megapixel camera/camcorder with DVD-quality video capture, 8 GB of onboard memory and a pre-installed 8 GB memory card, ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, GPS turn-by-turn directions via free Google Maps with Navigation (Beta) as well as VZ Navigator, and up to 9.5 hours of talk time.
DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV-DO, Rev A network
- Powered by the Android operating system (version 2.2, Froyo) with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- Advanced multitasking capabilities allow you to receive notifications, listen to music, and even record GPS data without keeping the application open.
- Full Suite of Google Apps including Google Maps with Street View, transit, and Wikipedia information; GTalk with Presence; Gmail; YouTube, Latitude, and Google Calendar
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
The DROID 2 Global features a no compromise Web and entertainment experience, advanced social messaging and a redesigned QWERTY keyboard (see larger image).
- 3G Mobile Hotspot: The DROID 2 Global comes travel-ready with a built-in 3G Mobile Hotspot--a Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared among five Wi-Fi-capable devices. The 3G Mobile Hotspot is the perfect family vacation companion, and at $20 for 2 GB and 5 cents per megabyte overage, it provides an allowance big enough for sharing with the entire family for downloading games, Internet access, and more.
- Enjoy Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter all in real-time without logging into and updating multiple applications. Updates synced and streamed to one screen waiting for you to view it when you want.
- Universal Inbox to view all your texts, social networking messages, and e-mail accounts in one place.
- Real HTML Web browsing provides more pages and better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone (Android Webkit HTML5-based browser).
- Swype input system allows you to input text faster and easier by gliding your finger around the keyboard, moving from letter to letter in one continuous motion. The Swype technology then calculates what word you're intending to type (learn more below).
- Integrated GPS with a choice of navigation apps:
- Google Maps Navigation (Beta) provides free, pre-loaded turn-by-turn voice guidance. Powered by Google and requiring an Internet connection, it enables you to simply say "Navigate to [your destination]" to get on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.
- VZ Navigator is downloadable via Android Market and allows you to navigate routes, check traffic conditions, and more. And with new "Click to Nav" integration, you can click on any address you see in your Web browser and automatically navigate using VZ Navigator. (Free to download, VZ Navigator has a $9.99 monthly charge)
The 5-megapixel camera/camcorder provides an auto-focus lens and DVD-quality video capture (see larger image).
- 1.2 GHz TI OMAP processor with dedicated graphics processor loads Web pages 40 percent faster than the original DROID by Motorola.
- 3.7-inch touchscreen display (854 x 480 pixels, 16 million color depth)
- Slide-out physical QWERTY keyboard plus two touchscreen QWERTY keyboard
- Global roaming capabilities with data access in more than 200 destinations
- GPS navigation capabilities via VZ Navigator service (downloadable via Android Market)
- 5-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto focus, touch-to-focus, face detection, panoramic modes, and more
- DVD-quality video capture with easy upload to YouTube, slow-motion capture, fast motion capture, and more.
- Multi-format digital audio player with dedicated Amazon MP3 Store app for over-the-air downloads.
- DLNA Wireless sharing of photos, video, and music with other DLNA compatible devices (Server, Controller, Player, Upload, and Download)
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 8 GB internal memory
- Included 8 GB microSD card with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Text, picture, and video messaging with threaded messaging feature
- E-mail: Corporate (Exchange 2003 and 2007), Gmail, IMAP, POP3, Attachment and browser document viewer (Microsoft Office and PDF)
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off.
- TTY compatible
- Hearing aid compatibility = M3/T3
The DROID 2 Global weighs 6.1 ounces and measures 4.58 x 2.38 x 0.54 inches. Its 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 8.33 hours (500 minutes) of talk time, and up to 230 hours (9+ days) of standby time. It runs on the CDMA 800/1900 frequencies as well as EV-DO, Rev A 3G frequencies, plus quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) frequencies and 3G networks (850/1900/2100 MHz) in foreign countries.
What's in the Box
DROID 2 Global handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 8 GB microSD card, USB cable, quick start guide
- Reliable 3G Network: With support for the EV-DO high-speed data standard, you'll enjoy fast access to the Internet and Verizon Wireless multimedia services (additional charges applicable), with average download speeds ranging from 400 to 700 Kbps and peak rates up to 2 Mbps. (Learn more about where EV-DO coverage is offered.)
- Global Roaming Capabilities: With this mobile phone, you can connect to wireless networks from Europe to South America to Asia thanks to its quad-band GSM/EDGE/GPRS connectivity as well as high-speed 3G HSPA compatibility (2100 MHz networks). It comes pre-installed with a SIM card, so customers who plan to travel abroad can activate global service at the time of purchase or by calling Verizon Wireless prior to leaving the U.S. For those who travel abroad frequently, the Verizon Wireless Global Value Plan offers discounted roaming capabilities with data access in more than 200 destinations.
- Visual Voice Mail: This innovative service enables you to delete, reply, and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions. Visual Voice Mail is the ideal tool for the busy mobile professional who may need to prioritize which messages he or she listens to first. Features include on-screen access to voice mail message status, save up to 40 messages for 40 days (or archive permanently), create up to 10 different caller ID-based greetings, and reply via call back, text or even voice mail.
- VZ Navigator Capable: With this GPS-enabled phone, you'll be able to access the Verizon Wireless VZ Navigator service (additional charges applicable) for voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions, heads-up alerts, local search of nearly 14 million points of interest in the US (such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs), and detailed color maps.
- VZW Backup Assistant: Automatically back up your mobile contacts to your online address book. If your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged, or you decide to upgrade, easily restore your saved address book to your new phone. You can also add, delete, edit, and print your contacts online and send the changes to your mobile phone.
- Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA): A wide array of events can trigger an alert, including a weather emergency, civil danger, local area emergency, child abduction and fire. Users of WEA will receive a free message to inform them of any local events or weather that could threaten their safety.
An alternative to the Android virtual keyboard, the Swype virtual keyboard allows you to input text by swiping the finger with one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard. Based on testing, speed, and accuracy are equal to or better than the traditional keyboard-tapping method. You can activate the Swype keyboard by pressing and holding in a text field, wait for popup to appear, click Input Method, and then select Swype.
In the image to the left, the word "mind" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry.
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.