Product Details:Wi-fi readyInternational roaming capabilityOptical trackpadBlackberry OS 5.0512 MB onboard memoryScreenRIM has been doing a great job in the display department as of late. The 2.4-inch 480x360 screen is crisp, bright, and manages browsing sessions well.Like all BlackBerrys, the display will adjust to ambient light.KeyboardThe Bold 9650 sports the better of the two keyboards RIM currently produces. It is accurate, responsive and quick.Its rubbery keys are row-separated by a depressed chrome bezel.Wireless DataThe Bold 9650 boasts 802.11b/g, GPS, Bluetooth with profiles for streaming music, and support for UMTS/HSPA, CDMA/EV-DO and GSM based networks. In layman's terms, this means that this smartphone is one of the few offered by Sprint and Verizon that can be used outside of the United States.Call QualityCall quality is spot-on with this version of theBold. From low to high volume the speaker supports a range of sound from deep to high. The speakerphone is sufficiently loud as well.MessagingThe strongest point of the BlackBerry is its messaging.Connections to Gmail accounts sync messages and contacts seamlessly. A message sent from a computer will show up as a sent message on the device, which creates an incredibly useful completely current email record at all times.SMS conversations are bubbled to seem like instant messenger chats, and instant messaging clients (AIM, GTalk, Y-Messenger, ICQ, MSN) all integrate well into the BlackBerry message indication system.CameraThe 3.2 megapixel camera on the Bold 9650 features auto-focus, video recording and flash.
Powerful and refined, the BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone offers reliable wireless voice and 3G data network connectivity from Verizon Wireless as well as Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for connecting to home/business networks and on-the-go hotspots. And whether traveling to Europe or Asia, the Bold 9650 provides globetrotters the freedom of reliable global connectivity with the reliable Verizon Wireless high-speed 3G CDMA network here in the United States and compatibility with GSM and 3G UMTS networks abroad.
Enjoy fast cellular connectivity with the reliable Verizon Wireless 3G network and global GSM/3G connectivity when traveling abroad.
It's also the first global phone from Verizon Wireless to support GlobalAccess Connect, allowing customers to tether their BlackBerry Bold to a notebook or netbook and use it as a modem for wireless Internet access in more than 200 countries worldwide.
Offering top-of-the-line performance and functionality, it features a sophisticated, high-gloss black finish, chrome highlights and leatherette back. It also includes a distinctive, highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard for fast and accurate typing, and an innovative touch-sensitive optical trackpad, which makes for a great navigation experience.
You'll stay on course thanks to the VZ Navigator GPS turn-by-turn direction service, as well as be able to find your way in foreign destination using the VZ Navigator Global service. With the optional Visual Voice Mail service, you'll be able to quickly and easily scroll through your messages and pick the ones you want to listen to. Additionally, the Bold 9650 provides a Push to Talk feature, enabling instant two-way communication with up to 50 people with the touch of a button. See more details on optional Verizon Wireless services below.
Other features include a 3.2-megapixel camera/camcorder, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, microSD memory expansion to 16 GB (a 2 GB card is included), support for BlackBerry App World, and up to 5 hours of talk time.
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV–DO, Rev A network
- Global roaming capabilities with data access in more than 220 destinations plus the capability to tether your laptop to your smartphone for Internet access using the Verizon Wireless GlobalAccess Connect service.
- BlackBerry OS 5.0 includes typing accuracy and selection improvements, as well as usability and visual enhancements such as inertial scrolling, spin boxes that make it easier to set dates and times, gradient shading on buttons, and more use of animation.
- Support for BlackBerry App World featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include travel, productivity, entertainment, games, social networking and sharing, news and weather, and more.
- BlackBerry Internet Service offers easy access to up to 10 supported personal and work email accounts and one BlackBerry email account.
- Compatible with BlackBerry Enterprise Server for advanced security and IT administration features within IBM Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange and Novell GroupWise environments. Customers running BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 will gain the ability to set follow-up flags, manage e-mail folders, access remote files (Windows Shares), forward appointments, view calendar attachments, and more.
- View attachments including JPEG, Adobe PDF, and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- BlackBerry Media Sync is built right into your BlackBerry Desktop Software and lets you sync your desktop iTunes or Windows Media Player music files with your BlackBerry smartphone. If you're a Mac user, just choose the "media" option and you're ready to sync your iTunes music collection from your BlackBerry smartphone onto your Mac.
- Integrated GPS for use with the BlackBerry Maps applications as well as other location-based applications and photo geotagging.
- VZ Navigator and VZ Navigator Global capable for voice-guided turn-by-turn directions and location services both in the United States and Western Europe.
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 16 GB. A 2 GB card is included with the phone, and it also has an internal 512 MB memory.
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go
- Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity with stereo music streaming (A2DP) capabilities as well as hands-free headsets and car kits and tethering with your PC (with optional tethering plan). (Learn more)
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture and IM instant messaging (via popular services)
- Large 2.45-inch high-resolution display (480 x 360 resolution at 245 ppi) that displays pictures, videos and Web pages with contrast and detail
- 3.2-megapixel camera with flash, variable zoom, image stabilization, autofocus and video recording.
- Full HTML Web browser, streaming audio and video via RTSP
The BlackBerry Bold 9650 weighs 4.8 ounces and measures 4.4 x 2.44 x 0.55 inches. Its 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5 hours of talk time, and up to 312 hours (13 days) of standby time. It runs on the CDMA 800/1900 frequencies as well as EV–DO, Rev A 3G frequencies. Additionally, this handset offers GSM global roaming capabilities with data access in more than 220 destinations (quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 plus 2100 3G HSPA).
What's in the Box
BlackBerry Bold 9650 handset, rechargeable battery, charger (with international adapter clips), 2 GB microSD card, USB cable, 3.5mm stereo headset, BlackBerry documentation kit, quick start guide, user manual
- Reliable 3G Network: With support for the EV-DO high-speed data standard, you'll enjoy fast access to the Internet and Verizon Wireless multimedia services (additional charges applicable), with average download speeds ranging from 400 to 700 Kbps and peak rates up to 2 Mbps. (Learn more about where EV-DO coverage is offered.)
- Global Roaming Capabilities: With this mobile phone, you can connect to wireless networks from Europe to South America to Asia thanks to its quad-band GSM/EDGE/GPRS connectivity as well as high-speed 3G HSPA compatibility (2100 MHz networks). It comes pre-installed with a SIM card, so customers who plan to travel abroad can activate global service at the time of purchase or by calling Verizon Wireless prior to leaving the U.S. For those who travel abroad frequently, the Verizon Wireless Global Value Plan offers discounted roaming capabilities with data access in more than 185 destinations.
- VZ Navigator with Global Capability: With this GPS-enabled phone, you'll be able to access the Verizon Wireless VZ Navigator service (additional charges applicable) for voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions, heads-up alerts, local search of nearly 14 million points of interest in the US (such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs), and detailed color maps.
Additionally, this phone is compatible with the VZ Navigator Global service, which enables you to find locations and access turn-by-turn directions in North America and Western Europe, including Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom (with more being added). Helping to alleviate stress or confusion caused by reading road signs or directions in an unfamiliar language, VZ Navigator Global allows you to choose either English or Spanish as the default language, and miles or kilometers to mark distances. You'll also be able to find restaurants, gas stations, banks/ATMs and other popular spots in these countries using Local Search.
- Mobile Broadband Connect: Use your smartphone as a modem for your notebook when you connect the two using a USB cable--or open a Bluetooth connection--enabling you to access the Internet or your company intranet. The Mobile Broadband Connect tethered modem capability is ideal when you're traveling and need to use your notebook to check e-mail, access corporate networks, or download large files like presentations and reports. And with Mobile Broadband Connect, you won't have to buy an extra PC Card or other devices.
- GlobalAccess Connect: With this globally connected smartphone, you'll be able to get reliable wireless Internet access for your laptop or netbook when roaming abroad thanks to the GlobalAccess Connect feature through Verizon Wireless. You can get wireless Internet access in more than 200 countries worldwide--and over 110 with 3G speed--enabling you to download and upload critical business data and files and access your company's intranet and applications.
- Visual Voice Mail: This innovative service enables you to delete, reply, and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions. Visual Voice Mail is the ideal tool for the busy mobile professional who may need to prioritize which messages he or she listens to first. Features include on-screen access to voice mail message status, save up to 40 messages for 40 days (or archive permanently), create up to 10 different caller ID-based greetings, and reply via call back, text or even voice mail.
- V CAST Music with Rhapsody: Access this exclusive digital music service for RealNetworks and for MTV Networks, which delivers unlimited monthly access to music on up to three Rhapsody-compatible mobile phones and players and online on multiple PCs and Web browsers. For a monthly fee (billed on your Verizon Wireless bill), you can load and reload your subscription songs from your PC to your V CAST Music with Rhapsody phone as often as you want, and take your music on the go.
On PCs running the Windows XP or higher operating system, you can also browse, preview, and purchase music using the V CAST Music with Rhapsody software, which is available as a free download from the V CAST Music with Rhapsody download website. Additional subscription charges applicable.
- V CAST Video on Demand: This optional service enables you to watch full-length TV shows plus news, sports, weather, and live entertainment video clips. It features more than 100 full-length programs from leading broadcast and cable networks, ranging from highly-rated drama and comedy series to reality programs and children's programming. V CAST Video on Demand also delivers live sporting events, including NHL hockey games and an upcoming slate of college football games
The service offers unlimited viewing of Basic Videos and the ESPN MVP channel. You can choose from 14 categories, including Entertainment, Kids, Music, Sports, Comedy, News, Pop Culture, Information, Women, Latino, Home & Leisure, Multicultural, Cutting Edge, and Hollywood. Additional subscription charges applicable.